Philadelphia, March 13, 2020 –Senator Sharif Street (D-Philadelphia), PA Senate Democratic Chair of the Banking and Insurance Committee, announced today that all major Insurance companies in Pennsylvania will provide comprehensive medical coverage in the commonwealth to cover medically appropriate COVID-19 diagnostic testing and associated treatment with no copays or deductibles.
“In the wake of this unprecedented pandemic, it is vital government respond quickly and efficiently to create support systems that ensure the protection of our communities and mitigate damage,” said Senator Street, “As we continue to work to protect Pennsylvania’s communities it is encouraging that all major Insurance Companies have ensured people can receive the required testing and treatment for the Coronavirus as it expands.”
Highmark, UPMC Health Plan, Geisinger, Independence BlueCross, Capital Blue Cross, Aetna, Cigna, UnitedHealthcare, Pennsylvania Health & Wellness, and Oscar have committed to these measures.
There have been more than 94,000 cases worldwide, including more than 3,000 deaths, this includes 21 confirmed cases in Pennsylvania. The CDC expects cases to continue to be confirmed.
Everyone is encouraged to help stop the spread of viruses by:
- Washing your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (if tissue is not available) when sneezing or coughing.
- Clean surfaces often, including phones, wallets and frequently touched items. Be
- Utilize cashless transactions when possible.
- If you are sick, stay home and avoid contact with others.
As this situation changes, our website, SenatorSharifStreet.com/coronavirus, will continue to keep Pennsylvanians informed. The Department of Health and CDC’s websites will continue to be the most accurate sources of information.