Harrisburg, Pa. − Junio 24, 2019 − Members of the Pennsylvania Senate Democratic Caucus today jointly sent a letter to Governor Tom Wolf requesting a disaster declaration for gun violence in the Commonwealth.
"Creemos que es necesario aumentar la conciencia pública sobre la pérdida masiva de vidas humanas y el sufrimiento infligido a la familia afectada, amigos y vecinos donde esta tragedia se desarrolla diariamente", escribieron. "Al igual que usted ha firmado seis declaraciones de desastre para proporcionar todas las herramientas a disposición de la Commonwealth para combatir la epidemia de opioides, el número de muertos y el impacto de las armas ilegales deben merecer atención inmediata y coordinada."
Specifically, a disaster declaration could do the following:
- Establish a task force led by the Department of Health to create and implement a public health framework for addressing gun violence
- Establish a command center in the Pennsylvania Emergency Management Agency to coordinate state and local law enforcement response
- Enhance the Joint-Local State Firearm Taskforce through additional personnel and funding to take illegal guns off the street
- Expand information gathering and sharing between all levels of law enforcement and community groups
- Increase law enforcement presence, both local and state, in targeted areas where gun violence is most prevalent
- Expedite and expand grants and other funding sources for community groups and nonprofit associations with a proven record of violence reduction and prevention
- Provide additional state resources for behavioral and mental health
- Bringing to bear the significant wealth of knowledge and experience in the Departments of Health and Human Services to provide de-escalation and de-confliction training throughout the community
- Require the Pennsylvania Department of Education provide training and professional development on trauma-informed education